We all know that young children do not often use talking as a way to resolve their issues, but as they grow older this changes. This course is designed for Certified or Accredited Play Therapists who wish to extend their skills to use talking therapy with children and young persons as well as creative arts media.
On the course programme you will learn how to:
- Communicate effectively using listening, reflecting, empathy, attending, observing, paraphrasing, summarising skills with children and young people in the therapeutic relationship.
- Have a better understanding of transference and counter transference as it arises in the therapeutic relationship and how to respond effectively.
- Identify the ways in which children and young people manage and process their emotions, including the ability to recognise situations where they are finding it difficult to access these.
- Help the child or young person to find appropriate words to describe their emotions.
- Help the child or young person to verbalise the key concerns, meanings and memories which emerge out of emotional arousal.
- Help the child or young person identify and verbalise the wishes, needs, behaviours and goals associated with feelings and emotions.
- Integrate the use of therapeutic creative arts media (from your Play Therapy experience) directively with talking therapy skills.
- The course will help you increase your self-awareness and understand how this can help or hinder the therapeutic relationship.
This seven-day programme is designed for those who have been awarded the Certified Play Therapist qualification after completing the APAC Diploma in Play Therapy Course in full.
Membership of PTUK/PTI is required to attend this course.
Location & Duration
Certificate in Counselling Children for existing PTUK/PTIRL Members will be held over seven days, plus one day follow up approximately one year later.
Course Fee: €1,100
Follow Up Day: €190 (for those who have previously completed the 7 days)
The course days run from 09.00 – 17.00
Dates and prices are correct at the time of printing but may be subject to change so please check with the office on 01825 761143 before booking.